I go through phases of using certain ingredients and playing around with the results of recipes. My latest favourite is yeast. It is fascinating to think that a teaspoon or two of a dry ingredient combined with some warm water and a little patience can yield such satisfying results. Vetkoek is always a favourite and this lovely easy bread is equally as satisfying and fun. This recipe is a half portion of my vetkoek recipe using brown bread flour. Next up is Nutty Wheat flour with seeds of sorts, possible pumpkin…
Homemade Brown Bread
2 cups brown bread flour
1st instant yeast
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1 cup warm water
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the oil and water and mix to combine. The mixture will still be quite sticky.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and gently knead for 5 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour over the top of the dough to prevent it sticking to your fingers.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl and cover with a cloth and set aside in a warm spot until the dough is double in size.
- Softly knead the mixture on a lightly floured surface and then place in a prepared bread tin.
- Allow the dough to rest and fill the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Bake the bread for 20 minutes or until baked through and lightly browned.