As I have mentioned before, I don’t make pizza very often but when the craving hits, I am obliged to satisfy it. On this occasion, to keep with my theme of brown bread, I thought it apt to make a brown bread base – result: equally as scrumity and just a teensy bit healthier – bargain.
Brown Bread Pizza Dough, Sauce and Toppings
1 cup brown bread flour
1tsp instant yeast
½ tsp salt
½ cup warm water
30ml tomato paste
10ml olive oil
2.5ml dried oregano
1½ cups cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese grated
2 garlic cloves crushed
4 big white button mushrooms thinly sliced
4 rashers bacon diced
3 pieces spring onion chopped
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the oil and water and mix to combine. The mixture will still be quite sticky.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and gently knead for 5 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour over the top of the dough to prevent it sticking to your fingers.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl and cover with a cloth and set aside in a warm spot until the dough is double in size.
- Lightly punch down the dough and roll it out as thinly as desired directly onto a piece of tin foil which has been sprayed with non stick spray and transfer to a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base followed by the cheese, garlic, mushrooms, bacon and spring onion.
- Sprinkle over the oregano and bake for 10 -12 minutes.