I was inspired by a recipe I saw on Rufus’ Food and Spirits Guide and modified Greg’s recipe slightly, purely because I never had all of the ingredients on hand. This is a lovely healthy and flavourful soup which made for a very enjoyable lunch. I used chicken stock which you can swap out with vegetable stock for a full vegetarian version and add more stock if you prefer a thinner minestrone.
Split Pea Minestrone
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1 inch piece of ginger peeled and finely chopped
1 brown onion sliced
2 carrots peeled and diced
125g button mushrooms sliced
1 cup split peas
½ cup dry white wine
420g tin chopped tomatoes
3tbsp coriander chopped
4 cups chicken stock
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- In a pot over a medium heat, toast the cumin seeds in the olive oil.
- Add the ginger and sauté for one minute.
- Add the onion and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms and cook until the carrots start to soften.
- Add the split peas and wine and cook until the wine has mostly evaporated.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander, chicken stock and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the split peas are cooked through.