This hearty soup is so full of flavour and you can replace the wine with beer or even cider. Not that it needs anything extra but is really yummy with some hot buttered toast.
Beef and Butternut Soup
30ml olive oil
2 onions chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
500g beef shin or chuck cut into chunks
3 carrots scraped and diced
2 celery stalks chopped
1.5 litres beef stock
125ml white wine
30ml tomato paste
Salt and milled pepper to taste
300g butternut peeled and diced
2 handfuls Italian parsley chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook until slightly brown.
- Add the carrots and celery and toss to coat.
- Add the stock, wine, sugar, tomato paste and seasoning and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the butternut and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir through the parsley before serving.
Submitted by: Pete Frielinghaus, Mauritius
The recipe looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Tes. I still have 4 yummy soup recipes to share with you before I move onto my next chapter of Snacks, Salads, Side Dishes and Light Meals.