Our housekeeper’s mother-in-law used to work for our neighbours and every time she made this magical meal, she would call for me over the wall and present me with one of these somewhat unhealthy but ever so yummy pastries.
(Vetkoek is a proudly South African pastry)
1kg cake flour
1 sachet dry yeast
3-4 cups hot water
Oil for deep frying
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a big bowl.
- Add the water bit by bit until you get the consistency of bread dough.
- Add the oil until combined and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough back in the bowl and cover with a cloth and set aside in a warm spot for approximately 45 minutes until the dough is double in size.
- Softly flatten the mixture and cut out circles with a cookie cutter or use a glass.
- Deep fry a couple of vetkoek at a time until golden brown over a medium heat. The vetkoek should turn themselves in the oil.
Serve with mince or syrup and grated cheese.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius