This was originally my husband’s granny’s recipe and his mom was kind enough to give me the original hand written recipe, which I still treasure. I get very excited each time I make this dish. Remember to run a knife between the rim of the dish and the soufflé mixture before baking to help the soufflé rise evenly and if you want extra height, tie a paper collar around the outside of the dish, sticking about 5cm above the rim.
50ml cake flour
Dash cayenne pepper
3 large eggs separated
250ml cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Heat the butter and stir in the flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the milk and stir until the mixture is smooth and starts to thicken.
- Beat the egg yolks and slowly add to the sauce.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and gently fold them into the cheese sauce.
- Transfer to a buttered soufflé dish and bake for 30 minutes.
Submitted by: Pam Frielinghaus, Port Elizabeth