Stuffing doesn’t have to be the messy bit that comes out of the chicken cavity before serving. It can be prepared and baked in a pie dish and cut into slices or squares, which certainly makes for a more attractive dinner plate accompaniment. This recipe has been in our family from before I was born and is a firm favourite, so sadly there is never any leftovers.
2 onions peeled and sliced
8 slices white bread
1 egg lightly beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
10ml dry thyme
- Boil the onions in the water until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add the bread to the onions until the slices have soaked up all the liquid.
- Add the butter, egg, salt, pepper and thyme and mix well.
- Place in a pie dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until set but still soft.
Submitted by: Val Olsen, Johannesburg