Sadly my husband has been battling with the flu for the past 2 weeks and feeling really grim! He has for the most part, lost his appetite which is usually very healthy. He is always more than willing to be my guinea pig to sample my spur of the moment new ideas and last night I decided to throw together a healthy “what I have in the fridge” soup, which I served with hot buttered toast soldiers. It was a hit and really super yummy!
Veggie Soup for a sick husband
2 medium red onions peeled and sliced
3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
5 carrots scraped and grated
2 large tomatoes roughly chopped
1½ litres chicken or vegetable stock (I used chicken)
2ml crushed ginger
5ml crushed garlic
1 tin butter beans drained
10ml fresh parsley finely chopped
- In a pot, glaze the onion, potatoes and carrots in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the ginger and garlic and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the butter beans and stir through.
- Stir in the parsley just before serving.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius