Chicken liver pâté has to be one of the all time favourites for parties. We have all walked around offering it to our guests with a cracker or melba toast.
Chicken Liver Pâté
1kg chicken livers
2 large onions
4 tbsp salad oil
2 garlic cloves
¼ tsp black pepper
1tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp medium / sweet sherry or brandy
Clarified butter to seal *
- Trim the chicken livers, wash well and dry.
- Peel and dice the onions.
- Heat the oil and add the onions and garlic together with the pepper, salt, mustard, nutmeg and the cloves. Cook until golden brown.
- Add the livers and cook for a further 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cool slightly then blend in the butter and sherry / brandy or both.
- Pack the pâté into a crock-pot or the likes and cover with clarified butter and chill.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan, remove from the heat and carefully pour off the clear fat leaving the milky sediment behind.
Submitted by: Carol Thorp, Port Elizabeth