The aromas of this dish are very comforting with flavours that tickle your taste buds.
¼ tsp saffron
3 cardamom pods cracked
2 tbsp rosewater
2 cups basmati rice
6 cups water
1 tbsp salt
¼ – ½ cup honey
¼ cup ghee
- Place the saffron and cardamom in the rosewater and set aside to steep.
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear.
- Bring the water to the boil in a heavy pan and add the salt and rice, stir occasionally until the water comes to a boil again and boil for 8 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Pour the honey (to taste) over the rice and mix through with a fork.
- Heat the ghee in the pan where the rice was cooked and add the honeyed rice. Sprinkle the rosewater mixture on top. Make three holes in the rice with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for 20-25 minutes until tender.
Submitted by: Nic Prinsloo, Clarens