This hearty casserole is ideal for vegetarians or on one of those Meatless Monday nights.
Vegetable Rice Casserole
4 cups cooked rice
1 ½ cups broccoli florets
1 medium carrot sliced
1 bunch spinach chopped
2 medium tomatoes cut in 1/8ths
½ cup olive oil
¼ tsp hing *
⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese
¼ cup breadcrumbs
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Partially steam the broccoli and carrots.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the hing, stir the tomatoes in and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Combine the rice and the vegetables. Add the salt and the remaining ingredients except for half of the cheese. Do not over mix. Transfer to a 1.5 litre casserole dish and top with rest of the cheese. Cover and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
* Hing (a salty dried plum) is needed in a vegetarian diet as it assists the digestive system. It has a very distinct flavour (sweet, sour and salty) and therefore is used in small quantities. It can be found in Indian shops.
Submitted by: Nic Prinsloo, Clarens