These fish cakes are so delicious – they taste even better when my husband makes them 🙂 We have tried different varieties of fish and stock fish / hake is perfect and we usually serve it with a simple crisp green salad and balsamic dressing.
800g fish of choice
7 medium potatoes cooked and mashed
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste
60ml fresh parsley chopped or 20 ml dried
1 extra large egg lightly beaten
250 ml cake flour
250 ml dried breadcrumbs
2 extra large eggs for crumbing
Oil for frying
- Poach the fish in the milk and water until cooked.
- Drain, debone, skin and flake.
- Boil the potatoes, drain and mash. Add the salt, pepper, parsley and the egg.
- Divide into approximately eighteen balls and form flat fish cakes.
- Roll in the flour then the beaten egg and lastly the breadcrumbs.
- Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the crumbs to set.
- Fry in shallow oil until golden brown on both sides.
Submitted by: Pete Frielinghaus, Mauritius