A friend of mine asked about an easy Low GI bread recipe for a friend of his. Now, bread and low GI aren’t the best of friends when it comes to easy and tasty recipes but this brown soda bread is absolutely fabulous. This bread is great to take a long for picnics too.
Low GI Brown Soda Bread
4 cups wholemeal flour
1 cup bread flour
80ml rolled oats
5ml bicarbonate of soda
2½ cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C.
- Lightly grease two baking trays alternatively spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, rolled oats, baking soda and salt.
- Gently mix in the buttermilk until a soft dough is formed and knead very lightly.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and form into rounded flat loaves.
- Mark each loaf with an X and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until golden brown for approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius
Pingback: Tweets that mention Low GI Brown Soda Bread « The Complete Cook Book Blog -- Topsy.com