My friend who planted the seed for me to incorporate a low GI and low fat category to my blog sent me this wonderful tasty recipe. It is her eldest daughters favourite and she is at the age where she is able to make the meal herself for the family. 🙂
5ml olive oil
500g beef or ostrich steak
1 medium onion peeled and chopped
300ml beef stock
15ml tomato puree
Small bunch fresh herbs of choice or 15ml dried herbs
10ml crushed garlic
90ml red wine
2ml ground black pepper
8 shallots halved
¼ punnet mushrooms sliced
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add half the meat and stir fry until brown and transfer to a plate.
- Fry the remaining meat and the onion until brown.
- Add the first batch of meat to the plan with any meat juices and stir in the flour.
- Add the stock and the tomato puree and bring to the boil while stirring until thickened.
- Add the herbs, garlic, wine and seasoning and stir through.
- Cover and simmer for an hour.
- Fry the shallots until brown and add the mushroom and fry for 2 – 3 minutes and add to the meat after it has been simmering for half an hour, stir through and cook for the second half hour.
Serve with basmati rice or pasta.
Submitted by: Desiree Visagie, Johannesburg