Aah, the infamous comforting roast chicken. It has to be somewhere on everybody’s favourite list. The addition of the vegetables for roasting with the chicken makes for an extra tasty gravy.
1 chicken ± 1.5kg
2 medium onions
2 sticks celery
1 head of garlic
Sea salt & ground black pepper
Bunch of fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 240˚C.
- Peel and roughly chop the onions, carrots and celery and place in a large roasting pan.
- Break the garlic into bulbs – do not peel and add to the other vegetables.
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and mix together.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Prick the lemon all over and place in the microwave for 30 seconds on high and place in the cavity of the chicken with the thyme.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and place in the oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 200˚C and cook for 1 hour 20 minutes, basting the chicken halfway through with the cooking juices.
Use the cooking juices to make a gravy.
Submitted by: Chris Olsen, Mauritius