Just to balance out my previous recipe for Syrup and Soy Chicken I am adding this fabulous Low GI recipe for Milk tart nests from my friend Desiree. What a great end to a super yummy meal. The low GI milk in this recipe offsets the high GI of the phyllo pastry – so all guilt free enjoyment then.
Low GI Milk Tart Nests
3 phyllo pastry sheets
1 litre fat free milk
30ml cake flour
15ml custard powder
3 extra large eggs beaten
5ml vanilla essence
5ml ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Cut the phyllo sheets into 12 square and line muffin tins with two squares overlapping to make nests. Make sure the hollow is generous.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until lightly browned. They brown easily so watch them.
- Heat the milk over a medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the eggs and a little milk to form a paste.
- When the milk is boiling, pour a small amount of it into the flour-egg mixture and stir vigorously.
- Add the flour-egg mixture to the milk in the saucepan and stir continuously with a whisk over a medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla essence.
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into the nests and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Serve hot or cold.
Submitted by: Desiree Visagie, Johannesburg