My husband Pete doesn’t cook very often but when he does, boy of boy, his meals are remarkable, they are like special occasions! This recipe is no exception. The meat literally falls off the bone and is so tasty plus the flavours from the stock make for an unforgettable gravy. There is no strict rule to use a leg of lamb; shanks, knuckles or shoulder can also be used and don’t forget the all important mint jelly.
Slow Roast Greek Lamb
3 onions peeled and thickly sliced
10 garlic cloves peeled and quartered
3 rosemary sprigs
2kg leg of lamb
10ml olive oil
5ml dried oregano
Juice of 3 lemons
1½ cups lamb or chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 100°C.
- Place the onions, garlic and rosemary sprigs on the bottom of a small roasting pan.
- Rub the lamb with the olive oil and oregano and place it on top of the vegetables.
- Mix the lemon juice and stock together and pour over the lamb.
- Cover the roasting pan tightly with tinfoil.
- Bake for 8 to 10 hours until tender and falling off the bone.
Submitted by: Pete Frielinghaus, Mauritius