This meal is even a hit with those not so keen on eating fish and is great served with new potatoes and peas or alternatively with a green salad. New potatoes are the lowest in GI in the spud family and big potatoes are very GI so another option as an accompaniment to this dish is mashed potato, so to help lower the GI, cook potato and sweet potato together.
Low GI Hake Mornay
400g hake fillets skin removed
5ml chicken stock powder
250ml skimmed milk
30g low fat cheese grated
15ml low fat margarine melted
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Place the fish on a lightly greased (use non-stick spray) ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the chicken stock powder over the fish.
- Beat the milk and eggs together and pour over the fish.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and pour over the margarine.
- Bake until the milk mixture has set, approximately 30 minutes.
Submitted by: Desiree Visagie, Johannesburg