I grew up eating and loving my mom’s oxtail casserole. It left my lips and fingers so sticky and always wanting more. The meat just falls off the bones and is incredibly tender. This recipe is and always will be a firm favourite in our family. If you are unable to get oxtail soup powder, coating the oxtail in flour will work just as well.
1 large oxtail
60ml oxtail soup powder
Salt and pepper to taste
500ml beef stock
2 large onions chopped
4 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
4 carrots peeled and sliced into rings
370g butter beans
- Coat the oxtail pieces in the soup powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat some oil in a pan and brown the oxtail pieces in small batches.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Place the oxtail in a casserole dish and cover with the stock, and add the cloves. Cover and bake for approximately 4 hours or until the meat starts separating from the bone. If necessary at this point, add more stock.
- Add the onions, potatoes, carrots and butterbeans and bake for an additional hour or until the vegetables are tender.
Submitted by: Val Olsen, Johannesburg