This is such an easy and extremely tasty salad and is a great accompaniment to any braai (barbecued) meal.
Low GI Apple and Cabbage Salad
1 red apple
1 green apple
10 – 20ml lemon juice
500ml cabbage finely chopped or grated
60ml plain low fat yoghurt
125ml low oil salad cream or mayonnaise
10ml sunflower seeds
4 lettuce leaves
- Wash the apples but do not peel them. Slice thinly and sprinkle with the lemon juice to avoid them discolouring.
- Add the apple to the cabbage and mix.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients and add 5ml -15ml sugar if it is too tart.
- Pour the dressing over the apple and cabbage and mix.
- Place in a container, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Serve on the lettuce leaves.
Submitted by: Desiree Visagie, Johannesburg