This is another one of my favourites from childhood. We used to call it Sundays River Stew, as we always used to have it at our family holiday home at Sundays River, so no big surprise in the name then. I think the dish originated when my Bompa (grandfather) used what he found on the shelf – well, that’s my memory of the story. I always serve this comforting meal with mashed potatoes however my aunt serves it with rice – it just wouldn’t be the same for me with rice, sorry Aunty Christine.
Corned Beef Hash
1 large onion sliced
1 tin corned beef cubed
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin baked beans
Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly fry the onion in a pan with a little oil until soft.
- Add the corned beef and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and reduce slightly.
- Add the baked beans and heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius