This dish works equally as well if cooked in a slow cooker for 2.5 hours, so for those busy week days that are filled with work and school, prep everything in the morning and all you have to do if turn on the cooker in the afternoon. Perfect. Serve with your choice of rice or mashed potatoes.
Mutton and Pear Curry
1kg thick mutton rib chops
15ml cooking oil
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
410g tin pears
5 ml brown sugar (or use half the juice from the pears)
10ml ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
15 – 30 ml curry powder (to taste)
Juice of 1 lemon
250ml meat stock
- Slash the fat edges of the chops to prevent curling during cooking.
- Brown the meat in the heated oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the meat and sauté.
- Cut the pears into smaller pieces and add to the meat (with the juice or sugar), as well as the other spices and seasonings.
- Add the lemon juice, stock and the milk, cover and simmer until the meat is tender – ± 1 – 1.5 hours.
Submitted by: Desiree Visagie, Johannesburg