We all enjoy a nice crispy hash brown and this yummy recipe goes a step further by incorporating baby marrows (zucchinis / courgettes), feta cheese and fresh basil. If you like, you can skip the yoghurt dip and add poached eggs with a Hollandaise sauce. I will post a Hollandaise sauce for you tomorrow.
Hash Browns and Yogurt Dip
400g potatoes peeled and grated
360g baby marrows grated
150g onion peeled and grated
100g feta cheese crumbled
125ml self raising flour
3 eggs lightly whisked
40ml chopped fresh basil
2ml freshly ground black pepper
200ml plain yoghurt
20ml torn fresh mint
- Press the potatoes, baby marrows and onion through a sieve to remove the excess liquid or wring in a tea towel.
- Lightly mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C.
- Shape the potato mixture into patties.
- Shallow fry the hash browns over a medium heat until brown on both sides.
- Place the hash browns on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until crispy.
- Blend the yoghurt and mint and serve with the hash browns.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius
Ooh I love a hash brown and this one sounds delicious. I would be torn between the yoghurt dip and the hollandaise though – decisions, decisions.
You could always do both… 🙂