There are two ways of enjoying sago pudding – one is baked in the oven and of a firm consistency and then there is the way I love it; all smooth and creamy – no guessing that this is yet another of my childhood favourites! You can also sprinkle a little ground cinnamon on top just before serving and no need to worry if you don’t have a microwave oven, you can just as easily make this in a saucepan.
1 litre milk
Pinch of salt
1 egg beaten
5ml vanilla essence
- Soak the sago in water for 15 minutes and then drain.
- Add the milk to the sago and boil on high until the sago is clear – approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir through.
- Add the egg slowly to the mixture and bring to the boil again.
- Add the vanilla essence and stir through.
Submitted by: Val Olsen, Johannesburg