We all enjoy a comforting rusk or two with a nice cup of tea or coffee and all the better when they are homemade. These tasty treats are quicker to make than the traditional method, so a batch can be whipped up and ready in no time.
Microwave Oven Buttermilk Rusks
500g cake flour
5ml bicarbonate of soda
5ml cream of tartar
5ml baking powder
200g brown sugar
- Sift all the dry ingredients and then add the sugar.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk, oil and combine.
- Roll the mixture into small balls, place in a microwave safe container and cook on high for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then separate the rusks.
- Cook on low for 50 minutes or in a cool oven (100°C) until dry – about 3 hours.
Submitted by: Christine de Villiers, Port Elizabeth