This is such a comforting pudding, albeit that this recipe is not the “tradional” style bread and butter pudding, it is quick, easy and equally as tasty and a great end to a meal, especially for those of you going into the winter months.
6 slices white bread crusts removed
¼ cup sugar
4 cups milk
2 tbsp butter
½ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Pack the bread to tightly fit into a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with the sugar.
- Heat the milk and butter and allow to cool.
- Beat the eggs and add to the milk mixture.
- Pour over the bread and allow to soak for a few minutes.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Beat the egg, butter and sugar together and spread over the hot pudding.
- Bake for another 10 minutes and serve hot with a thin custard or vanilla ice cream.
Submitted by: Nic Prinsloo, Clarens
Bread pudding truly is comfort food! I do love a nicely baked golden brown bread pudding..yum…..I will let you in on a little secret, cream cheese frosting tastes so very very good on top of it!
Hmm, yummy, thanks so much Chef Dennis, what a great idea!