This may be a little premature as this magnificent pudding is made the same day you are going to eat it (traditionally Christmas day). Then again, you could always just rename it to anything you like! Or you could just use the excuse that you need to practice making it before Christmas. Either way, it is hands down the best I have ever had the privilege of eating and serving the brandy sauce warm over the pudding is just heavenly.
1 bottle fruit mince
2 eggs beaten
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup flour
½ cup sugar
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
cherries, walnuts, coins for luck
1 cup sugar (white or brown)
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch mixed spice (optional)
2 dstsp brandy
- Mix all the ingredients together with the beaten eggs except the bicarbonate of soda.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in a little warm milk and add to the pudding mixture and mix well.
- Place in a bowl and cover with a hanky and tie around the top of the bowl.
- Steam for 2½ to 3 hours in a pot of water on the stove top.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla essence and mixed spice if your using it and stir well.
- Add the brandy and bring to boiling point.
Submitted by: Raë Smit, Pretoria