What can I say about Crème Brûlée – let’s face it, Crème Brûlée is simply perfection! I mean, who doesn’t like Crème Brûlée? And all the better when the custard is smooth and silky, and the caramelised sugar topping is just a thin layer to crack through – all delicate and light.
6 egg yolks
80ml castor sugar
500ml fresh cream
10ml vanilla essence
Extra castor sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Beat together the egg yolks and castor sugar until light and creamy.
- Heat the milk and cream to just before boiling point and remove from the heat and add the vanilla essence.
- Slowly add the milk mixture to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Strain the custard mixture through a sieve into a jug.
- Pour the mixture into 6 to 8 greased ramekins and put them into a roasting pan filled with water to reach half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until just set.
- Leave to cool then chill in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle castor sugar over each custard and caramelise the sugar using a blowtorch or by placing them under the grill.