This fabulous comfort pudding is for those of you who are going into the colder weather, although don’t let that stop you if you are in the warmer climates – this Apple Bake is equally as nice served warm or cold with some lightly whipped cream.
4 apples peeled and thinly sliced
5ml lemon juice
200ml cake flour
5ml baking powder
10ml vanilla essence
250ml soft brown sugar
5ml vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the apples, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan and cover and slowly cook until the apples are soft.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and vanilla essence and mix through.
- Place the apples into a greased pie pan and pour over the batter and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the pie is in the oven, combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and slowly simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- While the pie is still hot, using a fork, pierce holes into the top of the pie crust and pour the sauce over.
Submitted by: Val Olsen, Johannesburg