The Madeira cake was originally named after the wine, which was popular in England forever ago (19th century) and traditionally accompanied the cake. However, today it is served with tea. Either way, this lemon infused sponge cake reminds me of family afternoons around the kitchen table at my Nana’s house.
½ cup butter
1½ cups flour
½ cup milk
¾ cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon essence
½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Grease and flour a loaf tin.
- Place all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Beat well for 3 minutes until smooth.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour.
Submitted by: Raë Smit, Pretoria