I have the fondest memories of the smell of banana bread baking in the oven. I don’t ever remember my Mom every using a recipe; I think she inherited the recipe from her Mom and through years of making it, just remembers the recipe. This has to be the best accompaniment to a cup of tea and we enjoy slices with butter. The secret to this recipe is to use over ripe bananas where the skin is starting to go black and the fruit itself is soft.
1½ cups sugar
1tsp vanilla essence
2 cups flour
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup milk
3 mashed bananas
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla essence and eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add all the dry ingredients and milk and mix well.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix through.
- Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Submitted by: Val Olsen, Johannesburg