I absolutely love cheese cake and even more when it is an unbaked version. This is the first of two recipes I want to share with you and both are guaranteed to be a hit with the lovers of the baked variety.
4 tbsp butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
150g Marie biscuits crushed
6 tbsp castor sugar
2 eggs separated
½ tsp vanilla essence
Juice of 1 lemon
340g cream cheese
1 tsp gelatine
2 tbsp water
- Melt the butter and syrup together and mix into the crumbs.
- Press down well into a loose-bottomed tin and place in the fridge.
- Put the sugar in a bowl with the egg yolks and whisk over hot water until creamy and pale.
- Add the vanilla essence and lemon juice and whisk until the mixture is cool.
- Add the cream cheese and whisk until mixed through.
- Whip the cream and add to the mixture.
- Dissolve the gelatine in the water over a gentle heat and add to the mixture, mixing in well.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Pour over the hardened crust and refrigerate.
Submitted by: Raë Smit, Pretoria