Nothing like something Eastery at Christmas – for the point of this post, let’s call them spicy fruit buns, omit the crosses and voila, problem solved.
Hot Cross Buns – aka Spicy Fruit Buns
10ml mixed spice
15g dry yeast
125ml milk warmed
1 egg beaten
125ml dried fruit cake mix
Golden syrup for glazing
- Sift the flour, spices, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the yeast to the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk, water and egg.
- Knead until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl and leave to double in size for an hour.
- Add the cake mix and knead again until all the fruit is evenly distributed.
- Divide into 12 buns.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C.
- Place on a greased baking tray and allow to rise for 15 minutes.
- Make the mixture for the crosses and pipe it onto the buns.
- Bake for 30 minutes until well browned and risen.
- Brush with golden syrup as they come out of the oven.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius