Before everybody gets a sugar overload, I thought it best to have something more on the savoury side of things and this Poppy Seed Loaf is an absolute winner. Enjoy it warm with lashings of butter (naughty I know but oh so nice) or allow it to cool and enjoy with Avocado and Tuna Mould, Salmon Mousse or Chicken Liver Pâté.
Poppy Seed Loaf
750ml nutty wheat flour
30ml poppy seeds
10g instant yeast
350ml lukewarm water
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Mix the flour, nutty wheat flour, poppy seeds, yeast and salt together.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture.
- Mix the honey and water together and add to the dry mixture.
- Knead and place in a plastic bag.
- Allow to rise for about 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Knead and place in a greased loaf tin and leave to rise covered in plastic wrap for 45 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 1 hour.
- Leave the bread in the oven for 15 minutes after baking with the oven switched off.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius