Just to balance out the ever growing sugar content, I thought it best to throw something savoury into the mix again. For those of you in the warmer climates enjoying braai’s (barbecues) this festive season, this bread is always a welcome and enjoyed accompaniment and quite honestly is nice enough to enjoy as a meal on it’s own.
Cheese and Onion Bread
625ml bread flour
15ml baking powder
125ml cheddar cheese grated
15ml chopped fresh chives
15ml chopped fresh parsley
1 medium onion grated
2 extra large eggs
Grated cheddar cheese for topping
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Mix in the cheese, herbs and onion.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together and add to the mixture and blend until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn the mixture into a greased loaf tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the additional cheese on the top and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius