These have to be the best muffins ever – the crème de la crème of muffins. THE muffin of all muffins, well for me that is. They are light and spongy, slightly sticky on top, and make you hum with every bite and are perfect with a cup of tea. I am actually thinking of renaming them Lemon and Poppy Seed Cupcakes and adding an icing glaze on top. Just a thought for now.
Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins
125ml cooking oil
2 extra large eggs
250ml natural yoghurt or buttermilk
125ml lemon juice
3ml grated lemon rind
60ml poppy seeds
500ml cake flour
3ml bicarbonate of soda
15ml baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Beat the oil and sugar together.
- Add the eggs and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the yoghurt, lemon juice, rind and poppy seeds.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the wet mixture – the batter should still be lumpy.
- Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling each about two thirds full.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius