There is no easier or a more satisfying tart than this Lemon Meringue and not surprisingly it is another one of those childhood favourites that my Mom still makes and will always remain a firm family favourite. I often use it as a backup dessert for the times when I don’t really feel like thinking of something else to make and it always gets oohs and aahs.
½ packet tennis biscuits
50g melted butter
397g tin condensed milk
2 egg separated
½ cup lemon juice
50ml castor sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Crush the tennis biscuits and mix in the melted butter.
- Press into a small pie dish and place in the fridge.
- Mix the condensed milk and egg yolks together.
- Add the lemon juice and mix until just blended.
- Pour the mixture over the biscuit crust.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and then slowly add the sugar and continue beating until the egg whites look silky.
- Spoon the egg whites over the lemon mixture and gently smooth over, leaving the egg whites puffy.
- Bake for 10 minutes.