I am starting to think I should have called my book – All of Mandy’s Favourites. Custard Slices are one of those yummy treats that I love seeing on the table at tea parties, next to the quiche, you know, just to balance the sweet and savoury taste buds in one go along with the ever important cup of tea.
1 packet cream crackers
1 litre milk
120ml cake flour
80ml custard powder
3 eggs separated
10ml vanilla essence
500ml icing sugar
± 40ml boiling water
- Grease a shallow 35x25x5cm glass dish.
- Arrange 15 of the cream crackers in the base in 3 rows of 5 each, lining up the centre perforations of the biscuits.
- Bring the milk to the boil in a large saucepan and then add the sugar and butter and stir until melted and remove from the stove.
- Mix the cake flour, custard powder salt and water together.
- Add the egg yolks and beat well.
- Gradually fold in some of the milk mixture.
- Add this to the remaining milk mixture in the saucepan and stir over a low heat for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the stove and stir in the vanilla essence.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and then fold them lightly into the custard mixture.
- 10. Pour the custard mixture over the crackers in the dish.
- Cover the custard mixture with another 15 crackers making sure the centre perforations line up with those of the bottom layer.
- Allow the filling to cool then refrigerate until completely cold.
- Mix the icing sugar and boiling water to a spreading consistency.
- Pour over the crackers and spread evenly.
- Store in the fridge.
To serve, cut the custard slices along the perforations.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius