Rusks always make for such lovely gifts especially over the festive season when you can have fun with adding pretty ribbons and baubles to the wrapping. Pair these Buttermilk Rusks up with the Worlds Yummiest Rusks for a double Christmas treat.
2kg self raising flour
350g yellow sugar
500g cold butter
1 litre buttermilk
3 large eggs
15ml vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix together the flour, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Grate the butter into the flour mixture and rub it in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Whisk together 500ml of the buttermilk with the eggs and the vanilla essence and add to the flour mixture.
- Add enough of the remaining buttermilk to make a soft dough that is firm enough to shape into balls.
- Form balls and pack loosely onto a greased baking tray and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until golden brown and cooked through.
- Break the rusks apart and lay them on a baking tray and dry them in the oven at 100°C for 3 to 4 hours.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius