All of the holiday baking so far has been an explosion of wonderful and intense flavours; I felt like toning it down a bit today with some good old fashioned Vanilla Biscuits. If you feel like jazzing these lovely biscuits up for the festive season, sprinkle them with hundreds and thousands,chocolate vermicelli or even a piece of cherry before baking.
1½ cups sugar
3½ cups flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
5ml baking powder
10ml vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the vanilla essence and mix through.
- Make small balls and place on a baking sheet and flatten with a fork.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes until golden brown.
Submitted by: Christine de Villiers, Port Elizabeth