I got this recipe from my Mom many years ago and used to make it every other week and always kept the ingredients on hand. That’s how nice it is. For those of you that never made a Christmas Cake or pudding this year, this is your chance to rid yourself of those guilty feelings by making this fabulous Date Loaf. Enjoy it with lashings of butter and a cup of tea.
1 cup sugar
2 cups dates pitted and chopped
1 cup pie apples chopped
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 cups boiling water
3 cups flour
2tsp baking powder
2 eggs beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the sugar, dates, apples and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Pour over the boiling water and stir through.
- Leave to cool.
- Add the flour, baking powder and eggs and mix through.
- Pour into a loaf tin and bake for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius