Seems we aren’t getting away from the sweet things this holiday season. This Vanilla Cake is the second last contribution I will make on the sweet side for a while, before moving onto a few cocktails. It is a fabulously moist and light cake. If you were looking for a chocolate cake, no problem, just replace 125ml of the flour with 125ml cocoa.
6 eggs separated
125ml boiling water
500ml cake flour sieved
25ml baking powder
10ml vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar together until silky.
- Add the egg yolks and beat through.
- Add the oil and blend through.
- Add the boiling water and mix through.
- Add the flour and salt and mix through.
- Lastly add the vanilla essence and mix into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture evenly into two cake tins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Once cooled ice the cakes with caramel or icing.
Submitted by: Christine de Villiers, Port Elizabeth