Meringues were always the things I could never quite get right, which frustrated me beyond distraction. Not being able to give up on something until I have been able to get it right, I persevered and I am pleased to say that I now have a recipe that works! I have had a hankering for Pavlova recently so there may be a modified version of this recipe coming up soon.
6 egg whites
2ml cream of tartar
320ml castor sugar
5ml vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 110°C.
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites in a glass bowl with an electric beater or balloon whisk until foaming.
- Sprinkle the cream of tartar over the egg whites and continue whisking until the egg whites begin to form stiff peaks.
- Add 250ml of the sugar, 20ml at a time, beating well after each addition. The mixture must be smooth, thick and stiff and all the sugar crystals must dissolve.
- Using a spatula, fold the remaining sugar and vanilla essence into the meringue in one go – do not beat again.
- Pipe or spoon the meringues onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 90 minutes.
- Switch the oven off and leave the meringues to cool completely in the oven.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius