Last nights dinner was a vegetarian affair. I got the idea from Cindy who posted the recipe on her blog last week. It is a fabulous meal for a busy week night and I served it with a lettuce, red pepper, onion, pineapple, cucumber and coriander salad drizzled with a vinaigrette dressing.
Cindy’s Spinach and Asparagus Tart
1 roll brown puff pastry (I used white)
1 packet baby spinach cooked and excess water squeezed out
1 tin white asparagus (I used a bottle of green asparagus)
1 packet pitted green olives (I omitted these)
1 cup of grated extra mature cheddar (I used 1 ½ cups)
4 eggs whisked
½ cup of cream
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Ground nutmeg (I omitted this)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a dish with the puff pastry.
- Layer the spinach on the pastry shell.
- Layer the asparagus over the spinach.
- If using the olives, layer over the asparagus.
- Cover with the cheese.
- Mix the cream into the eggs, seasoning with the salt, pepper and nutmeg and pour into the dish making sure to cover all the cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius