I knew that when I saw Tandy’s recipe for Sweet Chilli Sauce a little while ago I had to make it. Pete and I go through copious amounts of Sweet Chilli Sauce, store bought though so the chance of making a homemade batch was top of my list. I made the recipe as given by Tandy however the chilli content was way above my threshold plus the quantity the recipe yields would not last Pete and I very long, so I halved some of the ingredients and doubled others and it turned out to be a lovely sauce.
Sweet Chilli Sauce
Adapted from Lavender and Lime
2 chillies finely chopped – I omitted the seeds
2 garlic cloves crushed
5ml oil – the original recipe called for butter
100ml white spirit vinegar – the original recipe called for white grape vinegar
- Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the chillies and the garlic without allowing them to change colour.
- Mix the cornflour with the sugar, vinegar and water.
- Add the mixture to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Remove as soon as the mixture begins to thicken.
- Place in a sterilized glass jar.