Last nights supper was put together with left over roast chicken and a half punnet of mushrooms that were taking up space in the fridge. I keep puff pastry in the freezer for such occasions when I use leftovers for a quick, easy and yummy meal. Sadly though, I have been unable to get the make of pastry that I like (nothing out of the ordinary for Mauritius) and bought another brand – bad idea. Firstly, working with pastry in the heavy heat and humidity is not much fun – the best I could do was shape parcels and secondly this pasty was not so much puff as it was short. Nonetheless, we enjoyed our little parcels with a salad.
Chicken Pie Parcels
1 medium onion sliced
125g button mushrooms sliced
200g cooked chicken chopped
125ml chicken stock or 10ml chicken stock powder and 125ml water
White pepper to taste
5ml maizena (cornstarch)
- Fry the onion and mushrooms in a little butter until the onion has softened and the mushrooms are tender.
- Add the chicken and stock and pepper to the pan and heat through.
- Thicken with the maizena mixed in a little water.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll out the pastry and divide into 2 or 4 pieces and place the chicken onto the pastry.
- Form into pie shapes and brush with the milk.
- Bake for 30 minutes.