Teamed with some hot buttered toast, this Sweetcorn Soufflé makes for a nice light evening meal, alternatively for a healthier option serve with a crisp green salad.
Running a knife between the rim of the dish and the soufflé mixture before baking helps it rise evenly and if you want extra hight, tie a paper collar around the outside of the dish sticking about 5cm above the rim.
410g tin creamed sweetcorn
125ml cheddar cheese grated
2 eggs separated
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Heat the sweetcorn in a pot.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour with a little milk to form a soft paste and then stir in the remainder of the milk.
- Add to the sweetcorn and bring to the boil while stirring.
- Add the butter and ¾ of the cheese and ½ the breadcrumbs.
- Mix well and stir in the beaten egg yolks and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the sweetcorn mixture.
- Pour into a soufflé dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 160ºC and bake for another 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.