I read about The Creative Pot’s Mushroom and Apricot White Pizza a while ago and knew that the base would be a hit with Pete as he enjoys a thin crispy pizza base and even though I only used the pizza base portion of the recipe, it was a huge success – super easy – a definite winner in our home. I used what I had on hand for toppings and the flavour was very moreish.
10g sachet instant yeast
10ml sugar – I used brown
125ml luke warm water
160-210g white bread flour – I used all purpose flour *
5ml olive oil
30ml tomato paste
10ml olive oil
1.2ml dried oregano
1.2 dried sweet basil
1½ cups white cheddar cheese grated
1 garlic clove crushed
4 big white button mushrooms thinly sliced
4 rasher bacon diced
- Mix the yeast, sugar, salt and water in a bowl.
- Add approximately a third of the flour so that when you stir it in, the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, gradually adding more flour until the dough feels smooth and elastic.
- Roll the dough into a ball and lightly oil the surface, place in a bowl and cover with cling film and place it in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size. Mine only took about 15 minutes (Mauritius heat) but guess it could take up to 30 minutes depending on where you are.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Punch down the dough and roll it out very thinly directly onto a piece of tin foil which has been sprayed with non stick spray (mine was approximately 25cm by 30cm) and transfer to a baking tray.
- Spread the tomato paste over the base followed by the cheese, garlic, mushrooms and bacon.
- Sprinkle over the oregano and bake for 10 -12 minutes.
* I weighed out 210g flour and used from it to flour the counter.