A potato bake is always a yummy side dish for a braai (barbecue) and there are no limits to ingredients you can add to personalise it. I often use this recipe for winter braais when a salad just won’t do in the cold weather.
4 large potatoes
1 packet cream of mushroom soup powder
2 garlic cloves crushed
Pinch cayenne pepper
1ml mustard powder
2 onions sliced and fried
1 packet bacon chopped and fried
250ml grated cheddar cheese
- Boil the potatoes in their jackets until just done. Peel and slice.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix together the soup, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard powder, cream and milk.
- Layer the potatoes in a casserole dish alternatively with the onions, bacon and the cream mixture.
- Top with the grated cheese and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes.