Tandy’s challenge for this week is to bake something spicy and I cannot think of a better recipe to share than my recipe for Carrot Cake Cupcakes. They truly are a “have-to-make”, they are that good.🙂 You can bake this as a cake if you prefer and the mixture makes 12 large or 18 standard cupcakes. Since being on the island, I battle to find pecan nuts so I omit them, plus If you are wanting a healthier alternative, you can replace the oil with apple sauce. Quite honestly this is a flop-proof, very versatile recipe and it is so easy to make. Perfect! Not to mention that your kitchen will smell heavenly.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
210g (260ml) sugar
250ml sunflower oil
3 large eggs
240g (560ml) cake flour (or self raising flour)
5ml bicarbonate of soda
10ml baking powder (omit if using self raising flour)
10ml ground cinnamon
5ml mixed spice
500ml grated carrots drained
100g pecan nuts roughly chopped
125g (125ml) cream cheese
100g (125ml) butter
285g (625ml) icing sugar
10ml vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat the sugar, oil and eggs together.
- Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the carrots and nuts.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined baking tin (or muffin tins) and bake for approximately 40 minutes (20 minutes) until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together.
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla essence and beat well.
- Spread over the cake (or cupcakes).